Friday, January 4, 2008

The Ugly Face

Biggest hellos from dusty Jaisalmer!

This will be short and sweet, as the internet connection appears to be a bit fickle. I am delighted to report that The Merasi School is filled with a super smart, boisterous gang that shows up early, leaves late, and enjoys, like yours truly, speaking exclusively in their outsides voices. The biggest hang-up hus far is that my skin is having an adverse response to the desert climate, which has led many a student to ask why I brought my 'ugly face' to Jaisalmer and what did I do with the not ugly face? However, barring my show-stealing epidermus, the kids are focused and committed to school.

After its first hour of use, The Merasi School Book is already showing significant signs of wear and tear, but appears to be an effective means of linking what students are working on in the classroom with what they need outside the classroom to reshape the dramatically slopped playing field they exist in.

On the horizon are plans to hire a woman up the street from us who has finished 7th grade (pretty tremendous for a Merasi lady), put together a community board of directors and identify what support they need to make informed decisions, and begin to hash out our next stages of development. Stay posted for more stories from the classroom!

And, once again, my tendency for being long-winded gets the better of my attempt to keep it short and sweet. Ah, what's that sound? Oh, of course, it's another New Year's Resolution crashing to the floor.

Much warmth from here to there,

Caitie!

No comments: