Sunday, November 23, 2008

All-weather gratitude

My father and I talk baseball a fair amount. While my father churns out the facts, I fancy myself more of a color commentator, likening the field to a finely manicured chia pet or drawing powerful comparisons between the shape of a hot dog and the curve of the pitcher's wily smile. One foggy afternoon, my father and I were at the ballpark, watching intently as the clouds closed in at the top of the third. "DON'T let it rain," I declared. "In my book, this is not a day for rain." To which my father, rascal that he is, decided that today, he'd be adding the color to the commentary. "Satchel Paige used to say that if you pray when it rains, you'd better pray when it's sunny, too."

Thanks to Mr Paige and a few afternoon clouds, I've taken to a bit of all-weather prayer, which has opened up into all-weather gratitude. But, in truth, I've got it easy. Because in my line of work, it's folks like you, our Team Merasi members (you big-hearted studmuffins, you) who extend a hand when forecasts are gorgeous and lousy, who make me a continually appreciative soul. We hatch plans and cook up ideas, but each one of you provides the support needed to translate thoughts in our minds to actions in our hands. I, Caitie Whelan, am headed back to our desert classroom in just a few days and look forward to reporting from The Merasi School where a little rain and wind never gets in the way of a great day at school.

From our doorstep to yours, we send our heartiest and merriest thanks!

No comments: