Sunday, October 12, 2008

You're the cream in my coffee

You'd be hard pressed to find a cup of coffee in Jaisalmer. Not to be misleading, there are plenty of menus with 'coffee' on them and drink stalls that boldly advertise 'Hot American Coffee.' But do not be deceived, dear friends. It would be roughly the same as calling an archaic can of peaches 'Fresh Off the Tree! Organic and All Natural!' The coffee is a rather fascinating swirl of hot water, whole milk, heaps of sugar, and a powdery brown substance called Nescafe Cafe.

But here's the kicker: If I weren't looking for coffee, if I weren't expecting a specific French Roast brew, I might rather enjoy this steaming cup of enigma. But my expectations are framed by a finite definition of the taste, aroma, and atmosphere of coffee. So I position myself for crushing disappointment with each sip.

So as my wilting hour of 4pm in the afternoon creeps up, I often wonder if I'd be just a bit more content if I expanded out my cramped little definition towards a palette that is a tad more inclusive than the snotty little coffee club. And it's not too far from what frames our assessments and evaluations of The Merasi School.

I trot into class with crisp, parametered expectations of what 'learning' is. Everything that spills out of those walls couldn't be quite significant enough because it exceeds my categorization. But, what I am learning in fits and starts, is that learning happens, education occurs, and knowledge is created, developed, contributed to and challenged in all shapes, sizes, colors, and tastes. And it grows, digests, and ripens under a big, generous tent that puts my neat, prim little assessment rubrics to shame.

Suriya, Synah, Asif, and Sanwar continually remind me to check my sack of expectations at the door and open my eyes a bit wider to something a bit larger and more significant that I could even conceive of. And, the more that I do that, the more that I see that what lies outside the framework of definition holds a much more elegant, beautiful possibility than what lies within.

This is not to say that I've renounced fine French Roasts for cups of water and brown powder. But I'm trying, with minimal grace, mind you, to stretch around the edges a bit more and acknowledge that unmet expectations can be quaint, convenient excuses for sidestepping the surprising beauty and glorious complexity of what lies directly infront of us.

3 comments:

Kettle7 said...

Ah yes....coffee in India...that makes me chuckle! Only in the deep South of India do they truly understand the deep brown chewy fragrant swirly mass that is truly it's own food group. Everywhere else...well, let's just say that they need to come to my house for a good cupa java! NOW we're talkin'!
But, I am confused because you refer rather wistfully to the "French Roast", yet I know that you LOVE decaf Hazelnut Cream coffee...but, oh, I should not place such memories in your mind..., and yet, I cannot resist the urge to remind you of home.
Love,
Kettle

Stiviji said...

Wow! What a blog site! I am so impressed. I knew that you were witty, Caitie, but not that you are such a fine writer. I am only sorry that I have not been reading these offering all along. I have been spellbound reading each one. They bring me directly back into my experience of being in Jaisalmer and getting to know the wonderful Merasi. Your words are evocative and transformative, gracefully leading me, the reader, through humor and anecdote into deeply important issues. I will definitely encourage my friends and colleagues to tune into this site!
Keep up the good work and give my best to Sarwar, Indra and all my many friends there.
Steve

Stiviji said...

Wow! What a blog site! I am so impressed. I knew that you were witty, Caitie, but not that you are such a fine writer. I am only sorry that I have not been reading these offering all along. I have been spellbound reading each one. They bring me directly back into my experience of being in Jaisalmer and getting to know the wonderful Merasi. Your words are evocative and transformative, gracefully leading me, the reader, through humor and anecdote into deeply important issues. I will definitely encourage my friends and colleagues to tune into this site!
Keep up the good work and give my best to Sarwar, Indra and all my many friends there.
Steve